Thursday 30 August 2012

Things Involving Witches

The post-M'era Luna doldrums are setting in so over the past few weeks I've been trying to extend the gothiness with evening excursions to suitably goth-tastic places and events. The day after returning from said German festival was Intrusion, Oxford's marvelous goth night, and the weekend afterwards I popped up to London for a wander around Camden (SHOPPING!) and a visit to Slimes (thank the gods for the Goth floor!)

Last Friday it was time for something a little more exciting, however. Inkubus Sukkubus, the renowned goth rock/pagan band who've been gigging for years and years yet I've somehow managed to never see, were playing a gig in Bristol. Thanks to some frantic swapping of shifts at work and to Big Alan and his unofficial goth taxi service (thanks Alan!) I managed to make it up there to catch them. After a rather long, but entertaining ride up from Amazingstoke station to Bristol, we arrived at the venue, an old-fashioned gig pub called the Fleece, in time to catch the first band. I have no idea who they were, but they played inoffensive alt rock and had a very enthusiastic, very young fanbase. Not great but not horrible, and to give them credit it looked like they were really enjoying themselves. Meeting up with some friends, we discovered that the Inkies themselves weren't due to start their set until gone ten, so we wandered Bristol for a bit to find somewhere to eat. We ended up in the Slug and Lettuce, which had shifted into pre-club loud-and-horrible pop music mode but was still serving relatively nice food (with rock hard peas).

Back at the venue, another support band that I don't remember the name of were playing rather generic metal so we popped next door for a drink and a natter before catching up with Mr Sticks, Pyromancer and a few other friends on the front row. The Fleece is a nice little venue; reasonably good sound system and no barrier, so I could pretty much prop myself up against the stage and take some typically terrible photos of the band.

Speaking of which (or should that be, "speaking of witch"? Heh I'm funny)...

Ooh look it's Tony and a light. My camera really doesn't like lights. 

One very blurry photo of Tony

 One slightly less blurry photo of Bob

 Candia and a light
Candia pointing at something

Their set was amazing, a nice mixture of things from throughout their career, including some of my favourites, like Vampyre Erotica, Belladona and Aconite, Church of Madness and of course Wytches. I'd forgotten just how many of their songs I love, and to be honest I'd forgotten how talented they are; watching Tony play was incredible, and it's a rare thing when I'm at a gig and I'm too busy being impressed by the vocals to sing along. They're also very, very funny and genuinely nice people. I really need to get off my arse and go and see them play again.

After an hour and a half long set (honestly I wish it'd been longer) they finally left the stage and it was time to chat to friends (and stand next to friends while they chatted with the Inkies themselves!) and begrudgingly say goodbyes. The journey back was hard work, it was about half midnight when we left so it was pretty late by the time we reached Oxford (and I really, really suck at navigation. I can't even navigate with a satnav. Dear oh dear) though it was really nice to get the chance to have a long natter with Alan. Unfortunately I had to work the next day, that was even harder work on about four hours sleep!

So... yeah that was that.

In other news, there are pictures of me turning up around the interwebz after M'era Luna. It's shallow, I know, but this makes me happy. Looksie at these two from this website



I'm famous! (Oh alright, I know I'm not. Let me have my fantasy, damn thee!) Honestly though, I can't believe a photo of me is included in the same gallery as Adora Batbrat, I mean, she's a model for gods' sakes! *brims with pride*

No comments:

Post a Comment