Thursday 13 May 2010

Clive Barker!

Well sod it, I'm going to start posting some of the interesting things I found recently and promptly forgot about. Here's one: Clive Barker on the South Bank Show (or rather, the South Bank Show on Clive Barker) back in 1994. If there's one person I never expected to be South Banked, it's Mr Barker, I know he's a bestseller and everything, but he's not particularly highbrow or all that mainstream. Still, it's a very interesting piece.






I have to confess to being a big nerdy Clive Barker fan: I love his films, his short stories, his paintings, his pretentious early short films...  I even bought Jericho even though I only played the first level because it was pretty awful.

It's a good time to be a Barkerite, isn't it? So many film versions of his films and that shiny Hellraiser remake looming (I don't generally agree with remakes but I do think Hellraiser could do with a new lick of paint: it's too unsettling a concept to be ruined by shoulder pads and a few scenes of really awful effects, I mean, does Pinhead really need to disappear as a yellow sqiggle?)

Incidentally, there's a fun game to play with interviews with Mr Barker: try and find two videos from seperate years where his voice sounds the same. I listened to the commentary on Hellraiser then the one on Midnight Meat Train one after the other and it doesn't sound like the same guy. Very odd.

Incidentally incidentally, and because I'm never opposed to a little shameless self promotion, if you want to see my weird watercolour take on the Cenobites, click here. Drawing pale, mutilated androgens in leather is always fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment