Sunday 16 May 2010

Things involving shopping

The nice thing about having a job but not having my own place is I have money but no bills. So every now and again, I can treat myself to SHINY THINGS! Or um, things that are metaphorically shiny at least. Looking at the number of parcels I've been getting recently, I thought maybe it would be fun to share the pretties with you and, hell, let's see if they're as incredible in reality as they appear on ebay.

Let's start with the Alchemy Gothic binge I had at the end of last month.
This one's called Oneiza's Quartz (because where would Alchemy's jewellery be without obscure literary references?) only it's not quartz, of course, it's crystal. It's very sparkly but a little on the bulky side; I've already managed to scuff the edge of the crystal on something. To be fair, that's not a problem with the ring itself and more with the fact I'm too thick to take it off sometimes.




Next up: Alga (slightly less obscure occult reference). I really like this one: chunky enough to be noticeable, understated enough to be wearable during the day, with added ooky-spooky amuletic powers.







Third: Fledermaus. Cute, suitable for everyday wear, comfortable. I love this earring and now I want five more so I can have one in every hole in my lobes! It only gets removed when I sleep; I've worn it solidly since I first unwrapped it.






Midnight Ear Chain: beautiful earring, unimaginative name. It's a very elegant design, with a beautiful deep purple crystal, a smaller black one, and a chain that loops over the top of the ear and then though the back of the post of the stud. Unfortunately, to keep the stud standing upright, I've found I have to push the butterfly on very tightly, forcing the chain into my ear which is quite painful after a while. Definitely an earring for special occassions and not regular wear.



Tobu Komori is a hairstick. I love hairsticks but I'm hopeless with them: I cannot work out how to make them stay (mid-length hair with a life of its own does not like pretty hair accessories, alas. Whether it's hair grips, headbands or scrunchies, nothing stays put in my hair for more than an hour.) But still... it has blueish purple enamel and cascades of bats, and if all else fails I can wave it around as a wand.





So uh yes. I bought a lot of Alchemy things. But wait! There's more!
For those days when I'm lusting after shiny spiral dreadlocks I now have this lovely hair extension/clip thingy from Gobbolino. Far too long to be practical, but covered in purple plastic shinies and attached to barette sturdy enough to be forced through backcombed hair. Perfect for those days when my hair needs more superfluous crap in it. Which is most days, to be honest.






Other slightly less photogenic purchases come from the lovely Starborn Alchemy: herby, spicey, floral perfumes and chocolatey body butters (although admittedly the shea butter in those makes them smell slightly like play dough). I'm particularly fond of their Apollo's Delphic Blend scent; it reminds me of that smell in certain hippie-ish goth shops when several incenses start to blend together.

Not all of my impulse buys are over the internet of course, most come from car boot sales and charity shops. I nabbed a poncho, a dvd and a shell ankh (I collect ankhs, I have one tattooed on my arm too. They seem to follow me around) all for under a fiver today. Oh and I bought a cactus but that's not very interesting. I think I'm going to call it Cordelia.

Sorry. That whole post was rather unimpressive. Grade C: Must try harder next time.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so where can I purchase the second ring down please? I want it mainly for the ooky-spooky amuletic powers, obviously, but I also think the design is rather nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry - I've found one already.

    ReplyDelete