Thursday 7 January 2010

Snowed In: now with pretty pictures

Well the snow still hasn't melted yet and more is forecast in the next few days. The snow that's already there is now frozen, compacted and treacherous. Fun fun fun!

I did actually manage to get out today, into the weird winter wonderland that has descended across Portsmouth. It's eerie seeing the dustbins outside Tesco half-buried, and even stranger seeing people trying to push shopping trolleys through the slush.

Anyway, enough chatter; as promised I have a few snappy-snaps for you to marvel at, or not.

Here's the view I had yesterday morning when I peered out of the back door















And here's the view I had this morning
Yes that's a foot-and-a-bit long icicle. It's been steadily growing all day, and is now glittering ominously at me every time I enter the kitchen. I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it; it looks just like a glass Christmas tree decoration.



















When I looked down, I noticed that some cunning kitty (probably not ours, she refuses to go anywhere near snow) had worked out that walking in footprints meant their little paws didn't sink as far.

And here's a slightly prettier view from my window. It's hard to see at this size quite how deep the snow is, but if you squint hard enough at the table at the far end, you'll notice there's a duvet-like layer lying on top of it. The side of the of the table top is about two and a half inches in depth. Now compare that little dark-green bar with the thick white bar of snow. See what I mean?






And here's a picture that, although unrelated to the snow, carries a cute story. This little fella is one of my mum's many wooden cat ornaments,; a recent addition to the collection that she was given for Christmas. My cat believes that it is a real-life kitty cat that's spying on her: she noticed it yesterday and tried to climb up the cabinet, mewing pitifully and stretching out to it. Even when she was picked up and shown that no, it's not a real cat, it's made of wood, she still gaped at it in horror and amazement.

My cat is not very bright.

Or maybe she is? Here she is enjoying a nice fire, far away from all that nasty cold white stuff. Sensible kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment